Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mr.Kleats

2610 McKenzie Street
Penticton, British Columbia,
V2A 6H7

May 25, 2011

Mr.Kleats
Central High School
123 Main Street
Sportstown, British Columbia
V2A 1W3

Dear Mr. Kleats

My name is Avery Lawrence and my daughter Arabella, has been a part of your athletic team for a good portion of the year.  Firstly I would like to start on a positive note and personally thank your for your efforts towards her soccer team. Your commitment and diligence towards the children’s learning is much appreciated. I am thankful for your seemingly warm-hearted attempts to better our community.

While Arabella immensely enjoys her sports and has no criticism of your coaching strategies directly, I can not quite argue the same. While attending a variety of practices and games I have noticed some behaviours that have arrived that come as a concern to me as a parent.

While dropping Arabella off, I have observed that you have not been present and your punctuality could be more pristine. This presents concern as a parent, with my child being unsupervised which comes with unease in this day and age of all the predators that seem to be lurking. In addition all the children look up to you, Arabella included, and I believe by demonstrating good attendance to them, it would in turn teach them the value of being punctual for any activity they may participate in. 

In addition to being active and exciting the practices seem to lack a general sense of organization. As a full time Pediatrician myself I understand the strain of trying to fit in a job, alongside parenting, let alone a whole soccer team into your schedule. If I may suggest, I think an assistant coach would work wonders for the team. It would let you be a little more relaxed and less rushed in your life. As well as structuring the practices and aiding in the children's skill development. This addition would let you focus more on the skill development of each child rather than what drill is next and how you are going to set it up.As a parent I can affirm that my child has a better sense of learning when there is structure, whether that be in a practice or during school hours in class.

Even I can contest that winning is important and reflects directly with the players abilities. Yet at the age of 5 Arabella and her teammates are not at a level where one player should play longer than the next. All parents pay the same registration fee, which in turn should reflect their child's playing time. I completely understand the importance of winning, as on the sidelines I love to hear the roar of the children after a win. Yet I believe it should be more fun than the pressure to win, and the disappointment when that goal is not achieved. However with that said I understand the concept of drilling it into their heads that we play, to play our best and not to fool around.

Lastly Arabella is a very shy child and at times you excitement can get the best of you, likewise the parents on the sideline. Unfortunately I have observed that your excitement comes across as frustration, which seems to put the children in a stage of unease. Nevertheless I understand that you as any of us parents can get caught up in the game which is understandable from time to time.

With this said, I hope you take into consideration what has been mentioned. You are an amazing coach Bill and I would be more than happy to talk to you in person if it is to your liking about the concerns mentioned.

Sincerely,

Avery Lawrence

1 comment:

  1. 3 of 3 assignments complete. Writing is quite polished-very few mechanical errors. Letter is diplomatic. I don't quite follow the logic in your satirical essay. Overall a very good effort.

    ReplyDelete